THE SCIENCE BEHIND THE SATISFACTION: Behind the scenes, Smithfield’s proprietary DURoC pork line, combined with our Process Verification Program and “Farm to Menu” approach, ensures that nothing but the best pork reaches a plate.
The Process Verification Program:
- Hogs Born, Raised and Processed in the USA
- National Pork Board PQA PLUS
- Animal Handling & Welfare Monitoring
- Meat Quality Monitoring
- ISO 14001 Environmental System
- All hogs are traceable to farm of origin
Consumer satisfaction with pork is driven by three primary components: Tenderness, Flavor, and Juiciness.
A “Farm to Menu” Approach:
- Live Animal Production System Controls: Animal Breed/Genetic Selection Nutritional Program
- Plant Processes: Animal Handling | CO2 Stun | Stun to Chill Time | Chilling Rate Product Selection
- Cooking Practices
- End-Point Temperature
Pork tenderness is affected by genetics, nutrition, animal handling, chilling and natural aging of meat cuts. Our Duroc has been selected for higher levels of marbling and a higher ultimate pH. The higher pH allows the natural pork juices to be retained in the cuts and higher levels of marbling reduces the fluid loss during cooking resulting in a juicy, palatable product.
Here, you can see how Smithfield DURoC Pork stands out in color and marbling values compared to other pork:
DURoC Hand-Selected values in shaded boxes. All data from Smithfield study comparing Smithfield All Natural Pork vs. retail competition 2012-13.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.
Find out how our Smithfield line, the platinum standard of pork products, can create a signature menu for you.more info
Featuring a comprehensive product portfolio, Farmland is the pork that operators would be proud to serve their families.more info